Sunday, February 26, 2012

So this "L" word....

So I got to thinking about the "L" word today... that big bad 4 letter word. Yup I said it, L-O-V-E. I think we all like to believe we know exactly what it is... what it's supposed to be like... to feel like. But truth be told, I don't think we can put a finger on what exactly it means to love and to be loved. I suppose it's that intangible, sparks fly, fireworks go off, breathless sort of feeling. Chemistry. Goosebumps.... whatever it is that Disney and Nicholas Sparks tell us it's supposed to be. Now I recognize that I sound cynical... and the crazy thing is I'm not. Not even close... I'm quite the opposite, although I may never lead on to it. For me it's easier to put up a wall and be this strong, independent, I can take care of myself female. Truth be told I think girls today need more confidence and the ability to do that. But.... onto the subject at hand. I want this:



"Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason." (Easy A)



Doesn't that just pull your heart strings?! (I tell ya the 80's did so many things wrong but so many things right... think shoulder pads and Cyndi Lauper vs. Breakfast Club and 16 Candles)



I do believe in it. I know love exists. But I also know that the word gets thrown around like a baseball. But that gets me thinking maybe love means something different to everyone. For me, I take it seriously. I don't say it unless I mean it. But who am I to say that's how it has to be. Maybe love can be a "I enjoy your company" thing or a "we have fun together" thing. But excuse me for pushing the envelope it has to be more for me. And it's not something to be settled on.



Simply put, this is what I think I want (okay maybe need- flinch).....

  "Look, in my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person is still going to think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with." (Juno)

Because truth be told, everything's all rainbows and sunshine when things are going great and you're having fun. But if that person can't be there in the rain than what does it really matter? Someone who's there when you're in mismatching sweats, tears streaming down your face, makeup a hot mess... that's someone worth committing to and sharing your heart with.

We all know I love my quotes... this is no secret. I happened to find so many tonight that inspired this post. This one in particular struck a chord with me.... "Unless it's mad, passionate, extraordinary love, it's a waste of time. There are too many mediocre things in life ... love shouldn't be one of them".... can I get an Amen?! That's what I want. If I don't get that "feeling" than cya later gator. Yes, I think love involves teamwork and friendship... but that can't be enough. At least not for me. I gotta feel that fire. That burn for someone. That's love baby. Okay and maybe a little lust... but who doesn't want to lust for the one they love?! To me, that's the ideal situation.... the ideal marriage even. BFF + teammates + burning passion/lust= sign me up. I think too often one component is missing in that crucial puzzle.

Final thoughts... what a novel I've written tonight. Who would have guessed I (of all people) would be long winded on this topic. I think love can actually be powerful and beautiful yet simple in its best form. I think we like to complicate things when it is really quite simple; find what it is that makes you happy and who it is that makes you happy and you're set. promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment